After I hit my 30s, I started to battle some breakouts that I had in my early teenage years; all at the same time trying to stave off some fine lines that comes with age. For cleansers, I’m looking for ones that can help clear up the annoying zits, as well as to fight dull, aging skin. The trick is identifying a cleanser that offers a deep clean without over-drying the skin, as our skin naturally produces less oil with age. Adult acne is different from teen acne. It’s not usually in the usual t-zone area, and more so are hormonal related. Hormone related breakouts are primarily on the lower face, specifically with cyst along the jawline and even down the neck.
Below are two cleansers I’m currently loving, with completely different ingredients and approach to cleansing. Find out how they help to keep my skin youthful and successfully fend off breakouts.
Bravura London Purifying Gel Cleanser
- ~$25 / 160mL from Bravura London: http://www.bravuralondon.com
WHAT IT IS
- A deep cleansing oil-free formula
WHAT IT DOES
- Dissolves dirt, surface impurities and most makeup without stripping skin
- Contains alpha and beta-hydroxy acids and natural enzymes that helps to exfoliate the skin
- For normal to oily skin types
- Glycolic and lactic acid help skin to exfoliate, to unclog pores, while salicylic acid works deep in the pores to help reduce size of pores and clear black heads.
- Yeast extract: natural vitamin B complex helps to regulate oil gland secretion
- Natural botanicals: watercress extract rich in vitamin C help with clearing complexion, lavender extract has healing and anti-inflammatory benefits; papain is a botanical exfoliant
Aloe Vera Gel, Decyl Polyglucose, Glycolic Acid (7%), Salicylic Acid , Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Yeast Extract (Vitamin B), Sodium PCA, Glycerin, SD Alcohol 40, Lactic Acid, Watercress Extract, Papain, Bromelain, Lavender Extract, Soap Wort Extract, Camphor, Sodium Hydroxide, Guar Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate.
- A unique gel formula that activates into refreshing foam, mild medicinal scent
WHY IT WORKS FOR ME
As its name suggest it, this is a a serious purifying cleanser that comes out as foam, making it one of the most creamy whipped frothy washing experiences. It’s formulated with Bravura specialties of acids: salicylic, lactic, glycolic to target and prevent breakouts, while aloe, lavender and watercress soothes red and irritated skin. I love using this first thing in the morning, as it makes my skin feel so squeaky clean, invigorated and balanced. My skin feels like it just received a deep cleanse. The cleanser also help to reduce shine by absorbing sebum, while tighten the appearance of pores, literally ‘purify’ my skin leaving it baby soft and smooth, yet still hydrated. I feel that this face wash is a great way to get these fabulous acid into my daily beauty routine to yield reliable consistent results – I wash my face every day, after all. Additional benefit is that I don’t experience any major side effects of a potent combination of acids as the cleanser does not stay on my face for long periods of time. The benefits are noticeable: less breakouts, less oily t-zone, and improved skin tone and texture. Bravura has rocked my skin again with this fabulous product.
Dr. Wu Deep Cleansing Gel With Niacinamide
- $30 / 150mL, from Beauty Secrets Cosmetics: http://www.beautysecrets.us.com
WHAT IT IS
- Effective and gentle cleanser for oily and acne prone skin
WHAT IT DOES
- Cleanse away acne-causing bacteria, excess oil and impurities without over-drying or irritating skin
- Also help to keep skin looking young by retaining moisture and providing anti-aging benefits
- Prevent acne problems in all stages and visibly reduce marks left behind by blemishes
- Control sebum
- Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate – derived from coconut oil; used as a gentle surfactant that help water mix with oil and dirt so it can be easily rinsed away
- Niacinamide – Powerful ingredient for anti-inflammation making it an effective treatment for acne, psoriasis and rosacea; reduces sebum production; antiaging benefits by stimulate dermis to produce more collagen; prevent moisture loss
- Chamomilla recutita extract – calm sensitive skin, condition the skin to optimal balance
- Aloe barbadensis gel – hydrate and repair the skin’s natural barrier; healing and soothing for the skin, anti-inflammatory
- Light gel cleanser; mild floral scent
WHY I LIKE IT
This cleanser made me realize that just because I have acne prone skin, it doesn’t mean that I need a harsh cleanser. How does this treat acne without ingredients like benzoyl peroxide? It’s all in the formulation combining an effective and gentle surfactant from coconut oil, as well as nourishing skin ingredients that help to deeply cleanse and refine the pores, balance sebum, restore moisture and thus leaving skin fresh, hydrated and healthy to minimize breakouts. The gel develops into a non-drying oil to protect the skin’s natural moisture levels and hydrate dry areas at the same time. It then changes into a light milk formula for easy rinsing. It cleanses so thoroughly. My skin is left residue-free, and totally refreshed, and conditioned to its optimal balance. What’s more, it is enriched with aloe vera to really lock in the moisture and offer a fuss-free approach to truly tailored skin care.
Two cleansers, two completely different ingredient lists. Both are great gentle cleanser that are designed to fight pimples while also keeping my skin looking young by retaining moisture and providing anti-aging benefits.
What are your favorite cleansers?